Welcome to the CCPL children’s department. Please visit the library and check out resources for children and families. Children’s services are planned by youth librarian, Ms. Emily. Sign up for programs online or at the library. Ms. Emily will send you a Remind App link to stay informed about all the latest news and events. It is our mission to promote literacy for all children.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
Register for the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program in the library and get a folder full of tracking sheets, bookmarks and other goodies to start you on your way to reading 1,000 books with your child! Call us at 965-3354 for more information. Funding for this program is provided by the Caldwell, Crittenden, and Lyon County Early Childhood Council and the Governor’s Office of Early Childhood.
- What is it? It’s a free program that encourages families to read together by reading 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten with bookish incentives to encourage families to read more.
- When does it start? Whenever you’re ready. Register today to let us know you plan to participate. CCPL will award prizes to your child after passing every 200-book milestone.
- When does it end? 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten ends when your child enters Kindergarten.
- Who can participate? Any child from birth until the age in which they enter Kindergarten.
- How often do I have to read to my child? As often as you’d like. The program is self-paced, as long as you reach 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten. Keep a tally of the books you’ve read – that includes books you’ve read more than once or any books read during pre-school, at church, at a library program, or with other family members.
- What happens if we don’t read 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten? It’s okay, nothing bad will happen if you don’t get to 1,000 books. Celebrate the success of participating in this program to help your child learn to read. Literacy studies have proven that reading together as a family develops crucial early literacy skills needed to do well in school. Reading is a gift. We encourage you to spread the joy of reading with your little one(s)!
Welcome to the Crittenden County Public Library’s Dial-A-Story line. Missing stories from your favorite library staff? Take a break from screens, let your kids listen to a story before bedtime, or add a fun activity to your day. Just call 270-918-9900 to hear stories, jokes, fun facts and more. This story hour in the cloud program is available 24/7. To return to the main menu any time, press #.
Our checkout kits are designed with easy accessibility in mind. Learning on the go shouldn’t have to be such a challenge. We have a variety of themed kits that help with different areas of development for your child. If you are interested in checking out a kit, you can grab the bag and bring it up along with its checkout card to the counter to be checked out to you. If you see a kit that you’d like to be put on reserve for you, let us know at the desk and we will do that for you. Call us at 270-965-3354 to place a hold if the kit is checked out.
STEAM to GO! Kits
Each of these kits come with a book and resources centered around a theme to help your little one develop a variety of skills from empathy to fine and gross motor skills to critical thinking and flexibility. Some of these kits come with games, cards, and wipe and erase mats. Funding for our STEAM to GO! Kits has been provided by The Friends of the Crittenden County Public Library.
- All About Dinosaurs: A kit that allows kids to work together, use their memory, and incorporate simple strategy to rescue the dinosaurs from volcanic eruption. Enjoy imaginative play with dinosaur figures and reusable sticker scenes.
- Construction and Building: This Engineering focused STEAM kit encourages kids to become interested in construction and engineering while they are still learning basic life skills.
- Food and Nutrition: Get kids talking about the science of food, the five food groups, and the composition of a healthy meal. Practice healthy meal building skills, learn how to garden and more with this kit!
- I Love Animals: The hands-on manipulatives promote STEM careers, builds memory and develops empathy skills. Kids learn about everything from guppies to puppies in the book included.
- Ready, Set, Kindergarten: This kit is a collection of activities and hands-on-tools designed to spark curiosity while learning age appropriate subjects to get kids ready for kindergarten.
- Sounds, Music and Band: Children will delight in this silly sing-along story with funny, eye-popping illustration and informative picture guides to help readers to mimic and act out the hand and foot movements and develop their fine motor skills.
- Yoga for Mindfulness: A special bag of tools for young children to learn how to experiment with basic yoga poses and build confidence as well as flexibility.
- Unplugged Explorers Pre-School Kit: This kit can be used with younger siblings or preschool age children to begin learning to measure and identify scientific concepts they need to learn to do real citizen science one day!
- Crittenden County History Box: Go on a fictional historical adventure through Crittenden County in 1925 using artifacts, maps, letters and other primary sources to give your child a sense of what life was like at the turn of the century.
Story Hour with Ms. Emily
Story hour is held on Fridays at 10:00 a.m. in the library meeting room or outside for pre-school age children ages 2 to 5. Please check social media or sign up for the Remind App with Ms. Emily to get the latest updates.
Special Story Hour programs for school age children are held throughout the year. Check the library calendar here for a schedule of events.